The now nationally known, Paisley Lagoon Centre, played host to the season closer for MTK Scotland.

‘Magic’ Marc Kerr opened up the show with a hard-fought win over Middleton’s Darryl Sharp.  The Glasgow man came in around the middleweight limit but has pledged to shed some pounds as he prepares for the new season in a few months time.  His extra weight didn’t hinder his performance however, and despite shipping some heavy shots early on, Kerr outworked, outboxed and outlasted his opponent to win 59-56 on the referee’s scorecard.

Edinburgh based Fijian, Ratu Latianara turned in a dominant points victory over Jevgenijs Andrejevs, dropping his man once en route to a 40-35 win.  Ratu is a popular man in these parts and looked very sharp winning each round.  He moves to 5-0 with the win as he looks to pick up momentum in his career.

Monty Ogilvie outpointed Luke Fash of Hull.  We spoke to Monty beforehand and he was looking to continue his sequence of stoppages but it wasn’t to be.  Fash is a tough and durable opponent, so there is no shame in not ending things early.  In fact, going some rounds will no doubt hold the Killin man well in the future.

Much was made of the record of Hungarian Gyula Dodu before his 6 rounder with flyweight Ross Murray (now 6-0).  Dodu travelled with a winning ledger of 12-4 but every time he ventured out of his homeland, he’d been stopped.  With that in mind, Dodu boxed surprisingly well.  While Murray never dropped a round, he was frustrated by Dodu’s movement and high guard.  Murray did get joy as Dodu appeared to tire and he scored a knockdown, which helped see him win the contest 60-53.

Two thoroughly nice men contested the next contest.  And all pleasantries went out of the window.  Speak to Jay Carrigan-Macfarlane or Jone Volau outside of the ring and you’d struggle to meet more friendly fellas.  Once the opening bell goes however, they both mean business.  This went pretty much as expected in that regard.  The teenage Scot rebounded from 2 successive defeats to drop the second of tonight’s Fijian natives but “TK” is as tough as they come.  Both men went for it for the remaining 5 rounds and it was the younger man who got the deserved nod come the end.  Watch Jay’s 58-55 points victory here, courtesy of our live stream.

The evening’s two title bouts had the unenviable job of following the big men but boy did they deliver!  Dublin’s Declan “Pretty Boy” Geraghty extended his record to 15-2 and added the vacant Celtic Featherweight title in the process with a comprehensive victory over Michael Roberts Jr (19-1-1).  ‘Deco’ alternated between the head and body with his jab beautifully to frustrate Roberts who appeared to smother his best work as he rushed to close the distance.  Geraghty claimed afterwards that it wasn’t his best performance but he did more than enough to get the nod, claiming the belt with a 98-92 win away from home.  Job done for the Dubliner.

The main event was billed as an evenly matched clash between Jordy McCorry and Jamie McGuire for the vacant Scottish Super-Featherweight strap.  The first round started off at a frenetic pace and didn’t really let up during the following nine sessions.  McCorry barrelled forward and McGuire threw everything at him to back him up.  The pattern continued up until just before the bell when a lovely McGuire counter dropped his opponent and sent his fans into raptures.  McCorry, whose fans were sporting facemasks of their hero, got up and dusted himself off.  The action continued relentlessly as the bout threatened to turn scrappy, quickly.  McCorry was warned about leading with his head and had McGuire on the floor, more through wrestling than boxing though.  In fact, wrestling is a rather apt reference as both men tumbled through the ropes in a scene reminiscent to Bret Hart and Lex Luger at the end of the 1994 Royal Rumble.  Neither man’s feet touched the floor and the action continued.  Not long after, McGuire went through the opposite ropes and hit the deck but again he bravely dragged himself to his feet and continued.  The scrappiness of the main event spilled out into the crowd late on in the bout, but was calmed quickly, credit to the event security and MTK staff.  By the end, both competitors were feeling the pace.  At least they were until the referee announce Jordy McCorry as the winner and he sprinted to the corner to celebrate with his fans.

All in all, a fantastically entertaining night of boxing.  A ringing endorsement of what can happen when promoters endeavour to organise evenly matched boxing matches, regardless of level.

MTK Scotland 1.7.17 Review
Tagged on: